Personal digital assistants (PDAs) were the closest thing to a smartphone back in the day. Pocket PC’s today are now tablets and other devices, but that doesn’t mean you should just throw away dinosaur technology. PDAs are still useful and even a lifesaver if you are in a pinch. In fact, many people today still use these devices in everyday use. Dell is a major American computer electronics company that develops, sells, repairs and supports computers and other devices, including PDAs. If you happen to find an old Dell Axim X3 in your attic, chances are the battery doesn’t work anymore after years of collecting dust. Or maybe it does work, but it’s acting kind of screwy with loss of user data and custom settings or a dark screen. Dell had released the Axim X3 back in October 2003, the first Dell PDA to come with a user replaceable 950mAh Lithium-Ion battery with an option for an extendable battery to increase run time. First and foremost, make sure that you replace the device’s main battery before troubleshooting.
How to Replace Dell Axim X3 Battery
You can purchase a replacement battery on Amazon for about $17 and replace it easily enough with the instructions below.
How to remove the Dell Axim X3 Main Battery
- Insert the stylus into the battery lock.
- Slide and hold the lock in the unlock position.
- Lift the battery out of the slot.
How to Install Dell Axim X3 Battery
- Ensure the device is turned off
- Insert the left side of the battery in the battery slot at an angle.
- Lower the right side of the battery in the battery slot until it clicks into place.
After replacing the main battery, charge it for at least 4 hours before turning the device on.
Troubleshooting Dell Axim X3 Backup Battery
Even with a fresh main battery, your X3 may still be having issues. Common symptoms include the loss of user data, unsaved custom settings and/or a dark screen. If this is the case for you, chances are that the backup battery is dead. This backup battery offers a little bit of power to retain the information on your X3 Dell PDA when the main battery is removed. If you still have a valid warranty on your device, we highly recommend sending it back to the Dell manufacturer for repairs. Doing this yourself will void your warranty, thus losing all the benefits of the technical support that comes with it. However, if you don’t have a warranty any longer, fixing this problem should be a piece of cake. But first, you need to get the proper backup replacement battery. This is called an OEM battery and you can purchase one on Amazon for about $6.99.
Next, you will need a small #00 Phillips head screwdriver to get the back of your device off and access the small battery that is embedded within the guts of your PDA. We highly recommend getting the ORIA Precision Screwdriver Set for all your electronic repairs if you don’t have one. For only $15.99, this professional repair kit has 60 magnetic screwdriver tips for any electronics that need repair.Now that you have your new backup battery replacement and the proper tools, let’s get started on the instructions to fix your Dell PDA’s memory issues.
How to Replace Dell Axim X3 Backup Battery
Removing the backup battery of Dell Axim X3 Instructions
- Make sure your device is turned off. And remove the main battery from the PDA.
- In order to take the backplate off, you will need to remove the rubber feet to expose four screws holding the back in place. Do this by popping them off with the edge of your stylus or a flat plastic tool.
- Remove the screws and put them aside for later reassemble.
- Working carefully around the seams, pop the backplate off and set it aside.
- Locate the circular backup battery in the bottom-left corner of the X3.
- Remove the thin plastic cover of the battery.
- Lift the battery out of the hold.
- Unplug the battery cable from the mainboard and remove the battery completely.
Dell Axim X3 Backup Battery Replacement Instructions
- Insert the new backup battery in the battery compartment.
- Plug the battery cable into the mainboard.
- Replace the backplate of the Axim and secure it with the holding screws.
- Pop the rubber feet back in screw slots and replace the main battery of the device.
The new backup battery should fix the memory issues in your device. Did this work for you? Let us know how we can help with other issues concerning the Dell Axim X3 by contacting us today.